cauliflower soup

cauliflower soup
Its fall people and that means its time for to bring out those yummy comfort soups!  I made this soup yesterday, as I had a head of cauliflower that had to be used up.  This soup was super easy to whip up and required only 5 ingredients.  How easy is that?

I love this soup because it’s a creamy soup without the cream!  The cauliflower makes its taste creamy, so its warm and comforting without all that fat!  My family rates this soup a 10+.  My kids ask for this soup as when the weather starts turning cool.  I often serve this up with some couscous cakes or chickpea veggie burgers
cauliflower soup

Cauliflower Soup:

recipe from Smitten Kitchen
  • 1 medium sized head cauliflower - If you get to large of a head, then you may want to add a bit more chicken stock.
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped – I used a yellow onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 quart (4 cups) low-sodium chicken stock or vegetable stock - I used chicken stock – Note:  if you use vegetable stock your soup will look browner than my photo, but it will taste the same
  • 1/2 cup finely grated or shredded Parmesan
  • salt and freshly ground pepper
Remove the leaves and thick core from the cauliflower and then rinse it.  I love rinsing my veggies in this strainer, especially when there is a lot to rinse at once.
Coarsely chop the cauliflower and set it aside (coarsely chop means to just cut up the vegetable in random sizes).  The below photo is not that exciting, but you can see how the cauliflower is all different shapes and sizes.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat.  Once the oil is heated, add the onion and garlic.  Cook until softened, but not browned, about 5-8 minutes.
Add the cauliflower and stock and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the cauliflower is very soft and falling apart, about 15-20 minutes.

Below is how it should look.Remove from heat and, using a hand held immersion blender, puree the soup, or puree in small batches in a blender and return it to the pot.

Tip:  If you’re using a blender, wipe out or use a spatula to get all the leftover pieces out of the pot, so you have a nice clean pot for the soup puree.
Add the Parmesan and stir until smooth.  Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.  Keep warm until ready to serve.  Below is the finished product, doesn’t it look yummy?Top each bowl with a bit of parmesan and some freshly ground pepper.  I sometimes top the soup with some chopped fresh chives, and it tastes amazing, so give it a try sometime.

cauliflower soupI love making my soups on the weekends or during the day while the kids are at school, and then storing them till dinnertime or later that week.  It just makes dinner that much easier when all you have to do is re-heat some soup and add some warm crusty bread or a pre-made chickpea burger or couscous cake!

• Wendy McKinley October 19, 2011, 2:17 pm

I am making this tonight, bet its great with popovers (asiago and thyme)

• Jacquelyn October 19, 2011, 3:24 pm

Yaay Wendy! Are you going to try Amanda’s additions to the popovers? I am going to try it myself. Let me know how it all turns out!

• Sue/the view from great island October 21, 2011, 1:43 pm

This looks so good! You have the best soup making equipment! (I have to get one of those immersion blenders) Your Sunday supper looks perfect.

• Anonymous June 1, 2012, 7:51 pm

My husband loves this with pepper jack cheese melted into it.

• Jacquelyn Grandy June 4, 2012, 7:57 pm

Pepper jack cheese sounds great!

• deb arnowitz November 25, 2012, 12:15 am

I am making it vegan and I know it will turn out great!!!
    Deb

• jackiegrandy December 16, 2012, 3:37 pm

Yum! Let me know how it turns out for you girl!

• Vespa Woolf December 16, 2012, 1:13 pm

Although my husband says he doesn’t enjoy cauliflower, I know he would like this recipe. It just needs to be disguised. ; ) Sounds wonderful! I look forward to trying this!

• jackiegrandy December 16, 2012, 3:38 pm

Hi Vespa. I hope he enjoys the soup. It does taste like cauliflower, but it’s so creamy and mellow that I think he will enjoy it as well.

• Paula @ Paula's Plate December 16, 2012, 3:46 pm

This looks delicious and I hope to make it tonight for dinner, do you think that you could use frozen cauliflower?

Thanks!!
    Paula @ Paula’s Plate

• jackiegrandy December 16, 2012, 6:50 pm

Hi Paula. I have never made it with frozen cauliflower, but I’m sure you can. I think it would be best to thaw it first and then drain it really well and then pat dry with a towel. I’m not sure how many bags would equal one head, but I’m assuming one bag would. Give it a try, and please let me know how it turns out!

• Anonymous January 8, 2013, 6:28 pm

I had to comment on this soup because it’s one of my favorite go-to soups. My kids, ages 6 and 9, love this soup as well. It’s creamy and goes perfectly with those couscous cakes. MAKE IT, you will not regret it. Kerry

• Cheryl/My Love Affair With The Vine February 7, 2013, 2:13 pm

Hi Jackie! I made this soup last night and it was DELICIOUS! It was also one of the easiest soups I’ve made in a while. Looking over the pictures, I realize I forgot to add the parmesan! It was still yummy as I topped each bowl with a bit parmesan and chives so maybe that was enough to satisfy my taste buds. Served with a crusty mulitgrain bread, the night was complete!

• jackiegrandy February 7, 2013, 2:43 pm

Cheryl, you honestly rock! I love that you made breakfast and dinner from the blog. It truly makes me one happy girl :) This soup truly is the simplest to make and tastes so good! It’s ones of Eli’s favorites. How was the quinoa cereal day two?

• Cheryl/My Love Affair With The Vine February 7, 2013, 3:47 pm

I’m having a bowl of the cereal right now and it’s just as yummy the second day! I love that the cranberries and raisins get fat and juicy…and the steel cut oats – I’ve never had those before. I now prefer them to regular oats!

• Karen February 24, 2013, 7:27 pm

You might want to try a bit of freshly ground nutmeg in your cauliflower soup…used with a light hand, it can add a delicious not to cauliflower soup.

• jackiegrandy February 24, 2013, 10:43 pm

Great idea Karen. I will try that this week :) Thanks for the tip.

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl June 9, 2013, 3:48 pm

It’s cauliflower harvest time in the garden, how perfect would this be for dinner soon?

• jackiegrandy June 10, 2013, 1:20 pm

Hi Pamela. Yes, you will love this soup. It’s super simple to make and only uses 5 ingredients. It’s one of our favorite soups and with this cold weather, I think I might make some up for lunch today! xoxo, Jackie

• Caitlin August 20, 2013, 8:16 pm

Amazing and simple and the whole family loved it!!!!

• jackiegrandy August 21, 2013, 2:54 am

Hi Caitlin. Yaay! Another recipe hit. I’m so glad the family enjoyed the soup, it’s one of our faves :) xoxo, Jackie

• Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) December 3, 2013, 3:11 am

I’m fighting off a cold today and made this soup for dinner. It was so easy (even when not feeling well) and fast! I’ll definitely be making this again and again. David loved it too.

• jackiegrandy December 3, 2013, 3:54 am

Hey girl! I hope your cold feels better. Great minds think alike because I made this soup tonight for diner as well. I didn’t have time to make the carrot ginger nor the ingreeints and I had everything on hand for this soup! Glad to hear that you and David loved it :)

• Julie February 7, 2014, 5:54 pm

Would love to try this soup. I’m nervous about overcooking the cauliflower to the point of it taking on that strong cabbagey smell and taste I experienced in the past with another soup recipe. Do you mind telling me if 15 to 20 generally get the cauliflower soft without that overpowering result?

• jackiegrandy February 7, 2014, 11:16 pm

Hi Julie! I’ve never had this soup take on a cabbagey smell or taste, and there have been times I haven’t cut up the cauliflower that small and thus it took longer to cook. If you’re worried about cooking it too long, then just cut the cauliflower into smaller pieces. I’ve made this soup about 50 times and it’s one of those recipes that always tastes the same. I would also recommend using chicken stock as opposed to vegetable stock, as vegetable stock can change the flavor and color just a tad. Let me know if you have any other questions :) xoxo, Jackie

• julie February 8, 2014, 8:24 am

Thank you for your help, Jackie. I’ll give it a go!

• Emily3 February 19, 2014, 12:14 am

Yum, this was good! My 2 and 4 year olds both loved it too… Definitely going to make this healthy soup again. We had it with crusty Italian bread and also some couscous cakes from your blog.

• jackiegrandy February 19, 2014, 10:48 pm

Hi Emilly! So happy you all loved the soup. It’s a true crowd and kid pleaser :) xoxo, Jackie