Spinach Smoothie! Kid rated 10!

Want you kids to get more greens in their diet? Here is a smoothie recipe that is rated a 10 in this household, yes a 10.  I make this for the kids to have with their lunch on the weekend or just as a healthy after school snack.  This is similar my kale and spinach smoothie, but it doesn’t have the kale or the flax seed in it.  I did try to sneak in the flax seed one day, but the kids noticed and didn’t like it.  Oh well, I should be thankful that they love this smoothie though!  BTW, this just isn’t a smoothie for kids, John and I drink this all the time after the gym.  We just throw in 2 tablespoons of flaxseed in ours.

Spinach Smoothie:

• 1/2 cup cold filtered water
  • 1/2 cup frozen pineapple
  • 1 cup organic grapes
  • 2 fully packed cups of spinach - I really pack the spinach in, so I’m sure it’s more than 2 cups
  • 1/2 banana
  • optional for adults – 2 tablespoons flax seed

See, they are really drinking it and loving it.  I did not instruct them to pose for this picture!

A smoothie mustache is the sign of a good smoothie, wouldn’t you agree?

• annie October 18, 2011, 10:59 pm

I can’t get over that your kids will drink a spinach smoothie…that is impressive…for me to get a shot like that I would have had to paint it on my kids…seriously!!!

• Anonymous January 16, 2014, 9:45 am

Do it when they are not around and have it in jug in the fridge for them to drink. I use the stick blender and mashed zucchini and put it in the bolognese sauce when the kids weren’t around.They would eat it and not know till they were teens,

• Jacquelyn October 18, 2011, 11:53 pm

Hi Annie! My kids really love it! You don’t taste the spinach at all. You should try it :)

• Erin @ Out on a Limb... May 16, 2012, 12:01 pm

You’ve turned me and my kids onto spinach smoothies! I really expected them to taste, well, more spinachy, but the fruit does the trick. In all honesty, I didn’t tell them until after they asked for seconds what made it green. I’ve been experimenting and they’re a great way to get what we all need into our diets on the fly.

Thanks for sharing! I’m loving your recipes.

• Jacquelyn Grandy May 17, 2012, 3:24 am

Hi Erin! I am so glad to hear that your kids loved the spinach smoothie! Yaay! It’s so nice when you can get your kids to eat their veggies and actually enjoy it! Let me know if you come up with any other smoothie ideas!

• Veldina Osceola January 10, 2014, 11:48 am

What’s Flax Seed??

• jackiegrandy January 10, 2014, 4:21 pm

Flax seed is a dietary supplement. You can find it at your grocery store where the vitamins are sold. I get the ground flax seed that comes in a bag. The brand I use is Spectrum organic ground flax seed. Flax seed is full of Omega 3′s, it has 3 grams of dietary fiber per serving. I have 2 tablespoons on my cereal or in a smoothie every day and it really helps keep my system regular and keeps my hair, skin and nails healthy. It’s chock-full of benefits. :)