Marin Mama’s tip for keeping herbs fresh…

Are you tired of picking or buying fresh herbs only to have them wilt and go limp after a day or so?  Well, I was tired of it.  I would go out and buy this beautiful cilantro or parsley only to have it wilt and become useless the next day.  A friend taught me a wonderful and easy trick to keeping my herbs fresh that I would like to share with you today. It’s a super easy trick, which really works, and keeps fresh herbs fresh and useable for about two weeks.

Tips for keeping herbs fresh:

• Snip off the bottom of the stems.
  • Don’t pre-rinse your herbs as you want the leaves to be dry - rinse them as needed
  • Fill up some glasses or small storage containers with a bit of water and place the stem ends of the herbs into the water.
  • Loosely cover the herbs with a plastic bag.  I know, a plastic bag?  It really does the trick though!
  • Store the herbs covered with the plastic bag in your refrigerator.

Tip:  Be sure to change the water after a few days if it discolors.
As Barefoot would say, “how easy is that?”

• annie January 18, 2012, 8:33 pm

perfect! I grow them all summer, but you can’t grow basil even here in the winter…I will try this with my fresh basil.

• Zoe January 18, 2012, 11:01 pm

These are great tips! They actually look very pretty in the way you stored them…they look like bouquets of “green flowers” to me :D

• Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 19, 2012, 2:08 am

I love this trick and it really works! It makes sense to keep the stems in water, like you would cut flowers.

• AikoVenus January 19, 2012, 3:41 am

Great trick! I’ve always wanted to do this just as I do with flowers…but I’ve been too lazy lately. ^^;

• Em (Wine and Butter) January 19, 2012, 5:59 pm

USEFUL! And they look so pretty!! Ive also tried putting them in ziplock bags with a paper towel to soak up any excess moisture – and that really helped both times I tried it! :)

• Pam January 19, 2012, 10:57 pm

I store them in water in the fridge but haven’t put bags over them… I’ll give it a go!

• Lyn July 5, 2014, 4:06 pm

I found out this trick by myself. Glad to know I am not the only one. I use it all the time, mostly for parsley, celery, spring onions and basil. Works well with kale leaves (not destemmed) as well. The last time I did it with celery, it lasted two and a half weeks in the door of my fridge!! And I live in the tropics!!