gingersnap cookies

gingersnap cookiesIt’s Monday and most likely cold, snowy or rainy where you are so I thought I would treat you all to a sweet today rather than an entree.  Sometimes we need a little sweet to kick start our week. I’ve always loved gingersnaps and molasses cookies and this cookie is a combination of the two.  This is not a true gingersnap cookie, which tend to be thin and crispy.  This cookie is more of a molasses cookie with a spicy ginger flavor.  It’s chewy, spicy and dark.  I know gingersnaps may not be the most exciting cookie to people, but they are to me, and they have always been one of my favorite cookies.

I was perusing through my borrowed copy of Marin Organic, where I found my butternut squash soup recipe, and saw this gingersnap recipe from Table Cafe.  Table Cafe is another one of my favorite local lunch spots.  The owner is always there and greets you with a smile.  Her food is all local and organically grown and her signature item is a dosa.  A dosa is a delicious gluten free wrap (which resembles a crepe, but it’s not sweet like a crepe) filled with delicious ingredients such as, marinated & grilled chicken breast with wilted spinach & goat cheese or smoked wild salmon with grilled frisee and onions, and aioli.  There are many different options as well as some amazing vegetarian ones.  The cafe also has wonderful salads, soups and of course, sweets.

gingersnap cookies:

• 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup dark molasses – I used blackstrap here
  • Sugar in the raw – optional - I used this to top my cookies
 I have heard wonderful things about blackstrap molasses so I picked up a bottle.  These molasses give gingersnap and molasses cookies their dark rich color.
I poured the molasses into a dry measuring cup, as the molasses are thick and gooey and would be difficult to measure out in a glass measuring cup.  Also, they have the consistency of honey and I always pour honey into a dry measuring cup as well.
Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, salt and white pepper in a medium bowl and stir with a whisk to blend.
Cream the sugars and butter together in a large bowl using either a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a hand held mixer, do this for about 4 to 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
Beat in the egg and then the molasses.
Don’t the molasses look like fudge?
Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until well combined.  Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.  I actually refrigerated my batter for 2 hours.

I wanted to top my gingersnaps with some sugar to make them sparkly and pretty so I pulled out some Turbinado (sugar in the raw) for that.  It is light brown in color and coarse grained, with a slight molasses flavor.  Pour some into a shallow bowl and set aside.
Once your dough is chilled, preheat your oven/ovens to 350 degrees.
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and gently dip the top of each ball into the raw sugar. Be careful not to get too much on there.  I drenched one batch of cookies in the sugar and they were way to sugary for our taste.  Less is more if you know what I am saying.
You don’t have to top them with sugar, as they taste great without it.  John actually prefers his cookie sans the sugar.
Place them on the baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
 With the bottom of a small glass, flatten the cookies slightly.

Bake the cookies for about 12 -14 minutes or until they feel dry and firm on top.  Maybe check them at 11 minutes to see where they are at.  Everyone’s oven has different cooking times so your cookies might take longer or less time.
Note:  The original recipe called for 8-10 minutes of cooking time, but when I first did that, my cookies war raw, yuck!  I cooked the next batch for 12-14 minutes and they were perfect.  So as you can see, my cookies took a bit longer than the original recipe called for.

Remove the cookies from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet.
Transfer the cookies to a wire track to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
gingersnap cookies
 I know it sounds strange, but these cookies actually taste better the next day.  Isn’t that weird?  They get a bit chewier and spicier.
These cookies are my kids favorite after school snack.
Pair it up with a tall glass of milk and your in heaven!

• Inside a British Mum's Kitchen January 23, 2012, 3:58 pm

What fantastic cookies – Love blackstrap molasses! beautifully done and a superb cookbook
    Mary x

• Zoe January 24, 2012, 2:16 am

I’m always confused when a recipe doesn’t specify the molasses used need to be blackstrap or not. I would usually use the non blackstrap one for some reasons and would wonder sometimes if it will make any difference using the blackstrap one. These cookies look great and the blackstrap molasses work well for this recipe.

• Jacquelyn January 24, 2012, 2:29 am

Hi Zoe! This recipe did not specify so I just used blackstrap. My cookies were definitely darker than the ones at Table Cafe and I think it’s because I used the the blackstrap molasses.

• Mary January 24, 2012, 5:46 am

These really look delicious. I have never used blackstrap in cooking. I was afraid it would overpower the other ingredients. Apparently not :-). I’ll have to give it a try. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

• Jacquelyn January 24, 2012, 2:23 pm

HI Mary! This was my first time using the blackstrap and I loved the flavor it gave the cookies. I may just try regular molasses next time just for kicks to see if there is a difference in flavor.

• Shaheen January 24, 2012, 12:50 pm

I really love how you’ve alredy taken a bite from one of the gingersnaps. What a cute milk container too.

• Jacquelyn January 24, 2012, 2:20 pm

Hi Shaheen! I couldn’t help myself when I saw the cookies just lying there :)

• Em (Wine and Butter) January 24, 2012, 3:58 pm

MMMM!!! These look sooo yummy! Im really trying to reel back my sweet consumption at the moment (my skirts are SO tight) but if I wasnt I would totally go for these! They remind me a bit of these soft ginger cookies I used to adore when we lived in Berkeley – from Virginias bakery – have you ever tried those…?? xox

• Jacquelyn January 25, 2012, 12:23 am

Hi Em! I am trying to cut back on the sweets as well but my kids are not so I have to keep baking. I actually baked these on Friday and then cupcakes on Saturday. I am now officially sugared out! Luckily I had a bunch of friends who were happy to take the cupcakes off my hands. Now there are only have 3 gingersnaps left and my kids are asking what I am baking tomorrow, jeez!

I rarely venture out to Berkeley! I should go more often as there are so many amazing restaurants and cafe’s there. If and when I do head over there I will be sure to check out Virginia’s bakery! Thanks for the tip :)

• Pam January 24, 2012, 4:36 pm

I love gingersnaps! These look wonderful.

• Jacquelyn January 25, 2012, 12:24 am

Thanks Pam! I love them as well! I have made this recipe 3 times so you can imagine how much we love them in this house.

• Kitchen Belleicious January 25, 2012, 1:01 am

I could eat a dozen of these right now! Boy they look inticing- so pretta

• Sell WoW Accounts January 25, 2012, 10:51 am

great presentation.=)

• Cutwood Kid January 28, 2012, 4:05 pm

These remind me of my youth in the Alps. Mutter would have these ready when we returned from school. You have inspired me to make them for my children returning from school on a cold winter day.

• Jacquelyn January 28, 2012, 4:10 pm

I’m glad they stirred up a wonderful memory for you. I’m positive your kids will love these on a cold winter day. Maybe serve them alongside a warm cup of tea.

• Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 28, 2012, 7:09 pm

these look so good! I love gingersnaps and these look wonderful and love that you used a local Marin cookbook. Table Cafe…sounds like quite a little gem (there are SO MANY gems up there).

Congrats on your new groc store blogging gig, too. AWESOME!!!!

• Jacquelyn January 30, 2012, 7:57 pm

Thanks Averie. I do feel lucky that there are so many great and unique cafe’s where I live. It’s nice when you don’t have to travel far to get an amazing lunch.