kale & pineapple smoothie:

Happy Birthday Zoe!

My daughter Zoe turns 12 today!  I honestly can’t believe how fast the years have gone by.  It seems like only yesterday that we brought her home from the hospital, and now she is 12!   Goodness gracious!  For those of you with little ones, hold on to them as they will be middle schoolers before you know it.  As much as I miss those toddler years, I am so loving the tween years.  I love being able to watch “real” TV with Zoe as opposed to kid shows or cartoons. We especially love watching Doctor Who & Sherlock together.   We share the love of reading and read the same science fiction and fantasy books.  Zoe is even beginning to take an interest in fashion, which I love, because I can always use a shopping buddy. Yes, she is growing at leaps and bounds, but she is still and always will be my little girl.

Another awesome thing is that Zoe is a fan of this smoothie.  She is actually starting to like the taste of kale, which is a huge plus in my book because as you all know, I am a huge fan of kale. We are still working on Eli, but I believe he will be there soon enough.

I created this smoothie by accident last week as I was out of mango (which is what I usually throw in with my kale).  I had a few bags of frozen pineapple in the freezer so I threw it in with some kale leaves, coconut water and a banana. I really loved the simplicity of this smoothie (4 ingredients plus some flax seed) and how the pineapple took away the bitter flavor of the kale.  Kale smoothies are a great mid-morning snack or lunch compliment.  It’s a great and tasty way to get some additional fruits and veggies in your diet, plus you get the added nutritional boost of flax seed.

Kale & pineapple smoothie

• 1 cup coconut water
  • 3-4 leaves lacinato kale – stems removed
  • 1 cup frozen or fresh pineapple - if using fresh pineapple then you will need to add some ice – You could also do 1/2 cup pineapple and 1/2 cup mango
  • 1 large banana
  • 2 tablespoons flax seed
Now how easy was that to create?
Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy!
Zoe, our journey together is only beginning!
I am so proud and blessed to be your mother.
I am loving the person you are becoming and you continue to amaze me each and every day with all that you do.
You are truly one of the kindest souls I know.
You have such love and compassion for family, friends and all creatures great and small.
You care so much for others and always try and put their feelings first.
You are making the world a better place by the light you shine and radiate.
Your joy and zest for life is intoxicating.
I love you more than words can express!
You rock!

If you’re a fan of “green” smoothies, check out my other green smoothies.

• Em (Wine and Butter) March 8, 2012, 3:32 pm

What an adorable post!! Happy Birthday to your daughter – isnt she lucky to have a mama like you??

I will DEFO be making this smoothie (in her honour) as soon as I get to Cali and have a blender – wooop woooop!!

• Pam March 9, 2012, 9:24 pm

Love the picture of you & your daughter. The smoothie looks healthy and delicious.

• Maria Matiopoulou March 11, 2012, 6:08 pm

This post is so cute! Happy birthday to her :)
    As for the smoothie , I’m obsessed with them, too! I’ve never tried a similar one, I’m definitely trying this soon!

Have a great day!
    Maria

• Zoe March 12, 2012, 1:08 am

Happy Birthday, Zoe! I wish that I’m still twelve!…but twelve no more… LOL!

This smoothie must be your secret for maintaining your youth! You have a twelve years old girl and you still look so good! I need to buy more kale and flax seeds to make this smoothies…LOL!

• annie March 13, 2012, 9:35 pm

Such sweet post! happy Birthday Zoe! The smoothie is gorgeous in color…I only wish my kiddos would drink it.
    xo
    annie

• Tanya Grasser April 3, 2012, 5:13 am

What a delicious, refreshing smoothie…I love the taste and the color! I’m actually drinking it as I write this. :-) The only change was that I used chia seed instead of flax seed. I love your blog and look forward to trying out more yummy recipes.

• Jacquelyn Grandy April 4, 2012, 1:32 pm

Hi Tanya. I am so glad you love this smoothie. It’s one of my favorites as well because it’s so refreshing and so easy to make.

• Anonymous July 11, 2012, 6:06 pm

I made my Wife and myself one yesterday, DEE Licious! Only use OJ instead of coconut juice and no flax seed. Plus a teaspoon of Splenda.

It could only be improved with about 4 oz. of vodka, cept not for kiddies. That way it would be good for your body, as well as your mind.

• Jacquelyn Grandy July 12, 2012, 1:55 pm

OMG, you are hilarious and I got a kick out of reading your comment. I’m glad you and your wife loved the smoothie!

• she ate great May 29, 2013, 8:04 pm

I am excited to try the Kale Pineapple Smoothie as well as browse the food photography workshop. Love your site!

• jackiegrandy May 29, 2013, 10:01 pm

Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy the smoothie and the food photography post! :)