I know this photo is not quote on quote “food porn” quality or pinterest worthy, but I guarantee it’s tastebud worthy. It’s so tastebud worthy that I was literally licking the bowl after this salad. I never thought I would be licking the bowl of a kale salad, but I was licking this one, seriously! Who am I these days? When did I start getting excited over kale of all things? You won’t even realize that you’re eating kale as the garlic and lemon take away the bitterness of the kale. You might surprise yourself and find that you just ate a whole head or two of kale with this salad. I have friends who have tried this salad and gone from kale haters to kale lovers. Seriously, it’s that good!
The Marin IJ recently interviewed me and the first question that the interviewer asked me was, “what’s your obsession with kale?” I laughed because I honestly didn’t think I was obsessed with kale. I mean I have a few kale recipes posted, but nothing to over the top. Do six recipes equate a kale obsession? Maybe they do, but I don’t care. I would rather be obsessed with kale than obsessed with chocolate, (well, I am a bit obsessed with that as well, but that’s another post).
So, I did the phone interview the other day, and today the photographer is coming over to take the pictures for the paper. He is going to photograph me while I make this salad and my sausage skillet pizza (see photo below). I’m a bit nervous about being photographed cooking as I am not a pretty gal when I am cooking. I get all flustered and crazy messy as I am constantly using my apron and clothes as a towel. This time I have to look pretty and relaxed while cooking. I’m not sure I can pull that off.
So let’s get back to this salad. I made this for lunch on Monday because I had too much birthday cake over the weekend as we celebrated Zoe turning 12. I wanted to do a mini Monday cleanse, so I made this salad for lunch and then paired it with some of my cauliflower soup for dinner. I couldn’t have been happier and my body was thanking me for this mini cleanse.
This salad pairs with just about anything because the dressing is so simple. It’s also a great make-ahead salad. I often make it in the morning and then have some for lunch or dinner that night and the gobble the rest up the next day. It’s the perfect bring to work salad because it gets better as it sits. Do you hear this Yvonne? Here’s a salad you can bring to work!
Lacinato kale salad:
- 1 bunch lacinato/dinosaur kale, de-stemmed and thinly sliced
- juice of 1 lemon (3 tablespoons) - use a hand juicer to get the most juice from your lemon . If your lemon seems extremely juicy, then I would just add 3 tablespoons of juice. I’ve noticed that in the winter my lemons have been extra juicy and the dressing can be a bit tart with too much lemon.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced – I always use 3 large cloves
- pinch of fine sea salt
- pinch of freshly ground pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese – you can use more or less here or omit it all together, it’s up to you. I just throw in a handful and call it a day!
Whisk together in a small bowl or glass measuring cup the following:
- juice of 1 lemon (3 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic - I always use 3 cloves
- pinch of fine sea salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- pinch (or more to taste) of red pepper flakes
Make sure to whisk the ingredients together well.
After your kale is well tossed, add the 2/3 cups of parmesan cheese and toss again.