spinach power smoothie

spinach power smoothieGuess what? I’m treating you all today to another “green” smoothie, yaaay! No, I didn’t use grass in this smoothie, in-case the above photo confused you. This is a simple but very nutritious spinach smoothie paired with some omega rich nutty ingredients.

This smoothie is chock full of nutrition. It’s a great smoothie for your body, skin & hair. Did you know that walnut butter contains a significant amount of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, almost 9 times more than the closet nut? Walnuts are also great for boosting metabolism so more calories can be burned. GO WALNUTS! We all know the benefits of flax seeds, bananas and spinach, pair those ingredients with some almond milk and some walnut butter and you have yourself one nutritious breakfast or lunch.

I seriously can’t get enough of my green smoothies. They are the best on-the-go way to get your veggies and omega’s in. I love this one especially because it’s a nutritional powerhouse and has tons of protein that keeps me filled up for hours. I like to drink this one post workout or before I work a grueling 3-hour hot lunch shift at the kid’s school.

This smoothie is not super sweet tasting like my other green smoothies because it does not contain any fruits except a banana. I like a break from a sweet smoothie every once in a while. This one is creamy with a nice nutty flavor that goes down ever so smoothly.

spinach power smoothie

Spinach power smoothie:

recipe adapted from Green Monster Movement

• 1 cup almond milk, or milk of your choice
  • 2 cups packed spinach
  • 1 large banana
  • 1 tablespoon walnut butter or nut butter of your choice
  • 2 tablespoons flax seed
  • 3-5 ice cubes
Below are all the ingredients you will need.
spinach power smoothie (1 of 1)-3Get out your blender and add the following:

1 cup of almond milk
1 tablespoon nut butter
2 tablespoons flax seed
1 banana
2 firmly packed cups of spinach
Toss in a few ice cubes to taste

Blend away till smooth, pour into a glass and enjoy!

spinach power smoothieGoing, going, gone!  It was that good!

spinach power smoothie (1 of 1)-2Here’s an Instagram photo that one of my reader’s Marian Ang, took of her smoothie.  This is part of her new breakfast routine! Love it!

photo 1I hope you all enjoy this smoothie!

• Zoe March 27, 2012, 3:25 am

I’m trying to encourage my son to drink smoothie as afternoon snacks instead of eating just cakes and biscuits :D I will ask him to make his own GREEN smoothies with this super-healthy recipe :D

• Sharyn Dimmick March 27, 2012, 3:21 pm

Pretty color. Would work for St. Patrick’s Day.

• Em (Wine and Butter) March 27, 2012, 11:56 pm

I’m so glad Ive joined the green smoothie club with you – or rather that you encouraged me to join. Life changing! Now I just need to buy some flax seed….

• Jacquelyn Grandy March 28, 2012, 5:24 am

Yes, we can clink our glasses to green smoothies :) Flax seed is so on your grocery list gal. I might just bring you a bag of it when I see you on Thursday. I can’t wait!

• Marian June 29, 2013, 11:15 pm

Thanks a ton for this recipe! Just had it for breakfast and it’s gorgeous! Juicing, especially green juicing (and smoothies) are not popular where I come from Singapore) and I don’t own a juicer either, so all your recipes work great for me! Thanks for blogging and sharing :)

• jackiegrandy June 30, 2013, 5:05 pm

Hi Marian! I’m so happy that you loved this smoothie. You’re right, it’s so beautiful in color. I’m elated you found my blog. Maybe you can be the trend setter in Singapore and get everyone into the smoothie and juicing kick :) xoxo, Jackie

• Jonny December 13, 2013, 5:14 am

About the Spinach Power Smoothie. Can I use a frozen banana? Won’t that make the smoothie better in some way?

• jackiegrandy December 15, 2013, 3:38 pm

Hi Jonny! A frozen banana would be great in this smoothie! :) xoxo, Jackie

• fiona January 9, 2014, 12:32 am

Hi Jackie,
    Do you use baby spinach in all your smoothies? I have just used three large leaves of spinach or rainbow chard. I cut out the stem but i am finding the after taste a little bitter.

• jackiegrandy January 9, 2014, 12:57 am

Hi Fiona! Yes, I use baby spinach in all of my smoothies and use 2 packed full cups. The smoothie does have a bit of an aftertaste, but I beleive that’s due to the walnut butter. It takes getting used to and may not be for everyone. I love it though! Maybe try using almond or peanut butter next time. :) xoxo, Jackie