grilled skirt steak with herb salsa verde

For those of you that are vegetarians, I apologize for these photos.  They are really in your face kind of photos.  I am not a fan of photos of meat, but I had to take them to so show the recipe.  My friend Wendy asked when I was going to post the steak and salsa recipe that I raved about in my Monday post.  I told her I wasn’t sure I wanted to post it because I didn’t get great photographs of the meat and I forgot to take a photo of the completed salsa.  She told me it’s the recipes that she comes for not the photographs (though they do help her to see what the finished product is going to look like).  So I am posting this recipe for you Wendy, as I know it’s going to be a perfect weekend for grilling out!  Yaay for that!

I can be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to this blog.  Sometimes I will make a recipe 3 times before I post it in order to get a great photograph, seriously, I am a freak that way.  Luckily my family is not picky and loves my cooking so they bear with it.  I am striving to let loose a bit more and posting these not so perfect photographs is one of my ways of doing that.
For those of you that love steak, this salsa is going to make you love it even more. The fresh herbs add so many flavors to a boring old steak and really make your taste buds sing!

grilled skirt steak with herb salsa verde:
Recipe from bon appetit

• 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
  • kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh herbs, such as tarragon and mint
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
  • 1 skirt steak (or steak of your choice)
Mix 1/4 cup oil, the 4 cloves of minced garlic, and the 1 tablespoon lemon zest in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper.
 Let marinate for 20 minutes.
While the oil mixture is marinating, wash and coarsely chop up the tarragon, mint and parsley leaves and set aside.
 This combination of herbs smells so amazing.
Once the oil mixture has marinated for 20 minutes, add all the herbs to oil mixture and stir until well coated. Let stand until herbs begin to wilt, about 10 minutes.
Stir in remaining 1/4 cup oil, season to taste with salt and pepper and then give the salsa one final mix.

I am passing along the grilling instructions from bon appetit below for those of you that are interested.  I did not get photographs of the process because John was grilling and I was busy prepping everything in the kitchen.  I also think cooking meat is a personal preference so I tend not to get caught up with how long or how to grill it.  Some people like their steak rare and some like it well done.  We like ours medium.

Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high. Season skirt steak generously with salt and pepper and grill until charred, 2 minutes per side for medium-rare Obviously, you will want to cook it longer per side for medium.

Transfer steak to a serving platter; let rest for 5 minutes, allowing juices to accumulate on platter. Transfer skirt steak to a cutting board and slice against the grain on a diagonal. Season to taste with salt; return to platter with juices.
Top your grilled steak with the herb salsa!

As you can see we paired our steak with the wheat berry and kale salad that I posted on Monday.  These two items went perfectly together.
 John and I enjoyed the leftovers below for dinner the next night. I topped the wheat berry salad with some steak and the herb salsa and then microwaved it all for about 1 minute.
It was so delish!
Here is what’s on my weekend reading list in-between lacrosse and baseball games, of course.

Are you reading anything fun?

Cheers to me becoming a bit less of a perfectionist (hey, sometimes you have to be your own cheerleader)!   Thanks for giving me that push Wendy!

• Wendy McKinley April 27, 2012, 6:29 pm

Thanks so much. As a reformed vegetarian who still does not eat beef but has two voracious carnivores to cook for I really appreciate this. -W

• Jacquelyn Grandy April 27, 2012, 6:31 pm

Anything for you Wendy :) I have 2 voracious meat lovers in this house as well, Zoe and John, and it doesn’t look like they’re changing their tune anytime soon.

• Pam April 27, 2012, 6:34 pm

I always feel bad for my vegetarian readers when I show “in your face” meat photos too.

I think the steak & salsa verde looks AMAZING!!!

• Jacquelyn Grandy April 27, 2012, 6:38 pm

Thanks Pam. I think your meat photos always look great though!

• Em (Wine and Butter) April 28, 2012, 3:54 am

Louis would be SO on board with this – ANOTHER recipe Im dying to try!! Your weekend looks great!! xox

• Jacquelyn Grandy April 28, 2012, 1:47 pm

Hi Em! Yes, this is a total “guy” dish. We made the wheat berries so we would not fill up on to much steak!

• Sharyn Dimmick April 28, 2012, 2:24 pm

Nothing wrong with those meat photographs. I often eat steak on Fourth of July. I bet if I made this sauce to go with it everyone at the barbecue would want some.

• Jacquelyn Grandy April 28, 2012, 8:39 pm

Thanks Sharyn. Many of my friends have actually complemented me on these photos and said that the photos made them want to grill up a steak, so I guess I am being to much of a perfectionist. The herb salsa adds such flavor to the meat so, yes, your friends would love it and parsley is so good for you, as you know!

• Inside a British Mum's Kitchen April 28, 2012, 8:16 pm

Well they are GREAT photos!! what photo editing do you use? that steak and herb salsa looks amazing. Love your reading list – I have the food blogging for Dummies too but haven’t got to it yet!
    mary x

• Jacquelyn Grandy April 28, 2012, 8:35 pm

Hi Mary! Thanks for the compliment. I use lightroom 4 for my photo editing and love it, but I didn’t edit these to much because they looked worse when I did (meat doesn’t look appetizing when it’s defined). Lightroom is totally worth the investment and a great thing about it is you get to try it free for 30 days to test it out. What do you use?

I am almost finished with food blogging for dummies. It’s a great resource and I think you will enjoy it. She gives tons of useful tips and I have used a lot of them thus far. Just got back from 2 lax games. It was amazing weather for watching.

• Maria Matiopoulou April 29, 2012, 1:44 am

This looks like something that would easily be cooked in our kitchen! I have to try it!

I’m currently reading ‘Architectural drawings’ (kind of irrelevant with food but it inspires me on how to edit photos and create digital presentations)!

Have a lovely Sunday Jacquelyn!

Maria

• Carlos Russo May 12, 2012, 4:29 pm

First off, these pictures sure did look perfect to me! Sometimes, I find, that with meat, the raw, untouched, minimalist shots of steak work best. Kudos to you for posting these great shots. And thank you for giving me a way to change up my steak! I love making steak, but kind of hit a wall the other day when I couldn’t put together a different way of making it. This herb salsa looks like the perfect way to do just that!

• Jacquelyn Grandy May 14, 2012, 1:25 pm

Hi Carlos. Thanks for the kind words. I am glad the steak looked appetizing to you. We tend to overcook our meat so I was trying to hide that fact with the herbs, also we eat everything I post so I have to show it the way were going to eat it. I can’t stage my photos to much as I have a hungry family waiting for dinner. I hope you enjoy the salsa when you do indeed try it! Have a great day!