Happy Memorial Day everyone, and Happy Birthday to my wonderful husband, John! The kids and I love that John’s birthday falls on a Holiday weekend because we always get to spend a full day celebrating with him. Zoe and I made his favorite coconut cake (recipe soon) while he supplied the homemade coconut ice cream. What a man!
So, I am celebrating this day by showcasing a vegan kale caesar salad! Yaay! I can’t get enough kale, and I am assuming most of you are the same way. Kale is the “it” vegetable of 2012, (at least in my world). This is not your typical caesar salad though because it’s egg and dairy free. It’s definitely a healthier take on the traditional caesar salad.
I love having a big salad for lunch, so I am always on the search for new recipes, especially kale ones. I also love croutons, and these croutons are the BEST! They are chewy and crunchy at the same time. You all know that I love carbs and kale, so this was lunch was a winner in my book! I found that this particular kale salad was best served fresh. It was fine for leftovers, but I found that I needed to refresh it with some dressing as the kale really absorbed all the dressing overnight and became a bit dull in flavor. I paired this salad for dinner with some of my sausage and arugula pizza , and it was the prefect compliment.
vegan kale caesar salad:
Note: There will be extra dressing leftover as the dressing makes 1 cup. You can reserve this for additional salads or cut the dressing recipe below in half. I actually used the extra dressing to re-fresh the leftover salad.
- 1 head of curly kale
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours – see details below
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- juice from 2 lemons - I use my hand juicer so that I get all the juice from the lemons
- 1 large pitted Medjool date
- 2 large stalks celery, ends cut off
- 2 – 3 large raw garlic cloves, peeled – I used 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup water – I added another tablespoon after I blended the dressing. Feel free to use more water if you want a thinner consistency
- homemade croutons - see recipe below
- 2 thick slices of multi-grain or dark grain bread - You can use any kind of bread here, but I loved the chewy texture of this multi grain bread. For those of you that are local, I got this bread was from the Whole Foods in San Rafael. It’s from Della Fattoria and the name of the bread is Pane Integrale.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt - I usually just throw a pinch of salt in
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper – I actually don’t measure out my pepper. I just twist the pepper grinder a few times.
Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees. Slice up 2 thick slices of bread.
Looking for more kale salad recipes?
Try one of these:
lacinato kale salad , miso kale salad with miso roasted tofu, kale, cranberry, apple and toasted almond salad with lemon dressing, kale salad with tahini & lemon dressing.