favorite turkey burgers

favorite turkey burgersSummer has officially started in our house.  We’ve hit the pool, Six Flags, played board game after board game and spent some time chilling out with friends this week.  We’re doing what we do best in the summer, and that is relaxing and taking a break from all the running around we do during the school year. It’s so nice to be able to wake up and go with the flow rather than having your day all planned out for you.

My friend Andrea sent me her family’s favorite turkey burger recipe a while back after I posted my turkey burgers.  She said it was a family favorite and that I should give it a try.  Well, we tried these last weekend and they were a HUGE success.  These turkey burgers rock and they’re one of the kids’ favorite dishes now (ranked in the top 5).  My kids loved them so much that they asked for them again last night.  I happily obliged, as I loved these burgers as well.  They are packed with so much flavor from the Gruyere cheese, mustard, scallions and garlic.  I also love that the cheese is in the burger!  These burgers are now a family favorite in my house as well as Andrea’s, so I am positive that they will be one in yours.

favorite turkey burgers

favorite turkey burgers:

recipe adapted from Andrea per Martha Stewart
serves 4
Note:  These burgers taste AMAZING topped with some cilantro-lime mayo

• 1 pound ground turkey (dark meat)
  • 1/2 cup finely grated Gruyere cheese
  • 4 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 3 hefty tablespoons dried breadcrumbsI used Ian’s panko breadcrumbs
  • 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • coarse salt and ground pepper
You can make this a make-ahead meal simply by assembling the patties in the morning, and covering and refrigerating them till dinner.
DSC_0086-2
In a medium bowl, gently combine (with a fork, spatula or gently with your hands) the turkey, scallions, mustard, grated Gruyere cheese, breadcrumbs and minced garlic; season generously with salt and pepper.
Note:  When you mix your seasonings into the meat, it’s important to remember that the more you handle the meat, and the more you squish it around, the more dense your burger will be. You might also squeeze out some of the juices and end up with a drier burger.Gently form the mixture into four patties.
Note:  If you find that your patties are not holding together, then add a bit more breadcrumbs till they do.

Tip:  use your thumb to create a dimple or well in the center of the patty, as this will ensure the burgers cook evenly without plumping up.  Start cooking the burgers indentation side up.

You can either grill up the burgers 5 to 7 minutes per side or cook them up in a skillet.  If you’re going to cook them up in a skillet, then heat up a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Cook the patties until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes per side.

Tip: Don’t press down on the patties or you will squeeze out and loose the flavorful juices.
Andrea’s favorite bun to use is a toasted english muffin, and it’s now our favorite as well.  The english muffin retains all the warmth of the burger.  I broiled the english muffins with a  bit of butter to keep them moist.  We topped these with my cilantro lime mayonnaise and some spinach the first night, and paired them with some roasted cauliflower and these amazing beet chips from Whole Foods.  Have any of you tried them?  They are so good and so addicting.
Another night we topped the burgers with an heirloom tomato, some cilantro lime mayo (of course) and since I was eating some lacinato kale salad, I threw some of that on top as well.
The burger was amazing both ways. I mean you could literally top these burgers with just about anything.  John topped his with some homemade guacamole as well as an heirloom tomato.
It’s funny how I always seem to have a vegetarian recipe on Monday and then either a burger or meat inspired recipe on Friday.  I guess you can really see that we eat both equally.

Comments

1. says

These look SO yummy!!! Im so excited for having a proper grill season out here… England does NOT get that – we have a few days when its hot enough to BBQ (just about) but because no-one knows how to do eat we just eat poorly cooked chicken and dubious sausages. I cant wait to give both these and your shrimp a try! I also cant wait for your return and Cheeseboard/ our course. Have a wonderful weekend sweet friend!!!!

2. says

My eye narrowed in on the those beet chips! I tried making some here. I really liked them alot but P. and the kids were “eh” and only tasted a few. I made some fresh hummus but I thought it would so much easier to buy the beet chips. I checked at Whole Foods but I didn’t see them on my first pass. I’m thrilled you mentioned them here and said that you bought your at Whole Foods…I’m going to look again! Oh, and I KNOW your turkey burger is delicious based on your other burgers!

• says

I am so glad you loved these burgers. We have made them 4 times since I posted this recipe and we still comment that they are the best burgers. They are even bypassing our buffalo burgers. Thanks for commenting and letting me know that you loved them :)

3. says

This is my kind of burger. Lean and flavorsome! I love Gruyere cheese and I can imagine these burgers must be superb!

Hope that your family and you will enjoy your holiday at the “east”… Hope to hear from you soon again after your nice break :D

4. says

Got some ground chicken at the farmer’s market…added a little soy sauce and grilled them up and ate alongside some leftover brown rice and veggie stirfry…what a great recipe that can be changed up in all kinds of ways.. We had a lovely evening relaxing on the deck.

5. says

Wow, these look delicious! Loaded turkey burgers are the way to go – they’re so juicy and flavorful. Even better then beef patties, in my opinion!

6. Pyewackett9 says

These were delicious! We just finished our July 4 BBQ, and these burgers were a hit – moist and tasty, and super easy to make. The only change I made was substituting 3 tbsp. of quick oats for the breadcrumbs/panko. (I’m trying to deplete a multi-pound canister of the stuff, and I use the oats instead of breadcrumbs in turkey meatballs.) Thanks for sharing this treat!

• says

Yaay! I’m so glad you made and loved the burgers. They really are our favorite burger and have now bypassed our favorite buffalo burger. I love that you substituted the oats for the breadcrumbs. I may give that a shot next time. Thanks for commenting! I love hearing back from people after they make a recipe.

7. Nazy says

This burger is soooooo good. I made it for my son and he said it was the best turkey burger ever. Very juicy and flavorful. Thanks for the recipe.

• jackiegrandy says

Thanks for stopping by Nazy. I’m so glad you and Shervin love the turkey burgers. We have Andrea to thank for the recipe!
      xoxo,
      Jackie :)

8. Anonymous says

These burgers were literally the BEST I HAVE EVER HAD! I’m at college and decided to cook a nice healthy dinner for my roommates and they would not stop raving about these!

• jackiegrandy says

Wow! What a great comment to receive and what a great roommate you are to make these for your roomies! I wish I had a roommate like you in college :) These are our favorite turkey burgers as well, you just can’t beat them! Have a great night and thanks for stopping by and letting me know that these were such a success!
      xoxo, Jackie

9. Anonymous says

Hi Jackie, My sister Kim recommended your blog and my husband thanks you as we have had a week of delicious meals. The parmesan chicken was great and the turkey burgers last night with the kale slaw were a family success. I hope that this finds you and your family well and perhaps our paths will cross when we are out visiting San Fran.

Thanks,
    Katie Ellis Troyak (MN)

• jackiegrandy says

Hi Katie! When I first saw your message I knew the Kim you were talking about was Kim. Does that make sense? I’m so glad that Kim recommended my blog to you and that the recipes you have tried have been successes! I really love hearing that! I guess it’s not really grilling weather in your neck of the woods this week. Yikes! Brandt called me yesterday and showed me all the snow that was pouring down. I hope it dissipates quickly and some warm spring weather comes your way. Yes, let’s definitely connect next time you’re out to SF or when were in MN. Thanks for saying hi Katie! xoxo, Jackie

10. says

Hi Jackie! These burgers are Amazing!! We made them for our 4th of July family BBQ and then again last night for our pool time BBQ with the granddaughters and they were a hit! I paired them with a red cabbage cole slaw, topped with mashed avocado, tomato, arugula and the sublime cilantro-lime-mayo…..I had mine sans bun, but next time I will definitely try with the english muffin. Thanks for sharing your yummy recipes! xoxo

• jackiegrandy says

Hey Cheryl! SO good to hear from you again! I’ve missed your positive energy. So glad these burgers were a hit on both occasions especially with the granddaughters. I love all the toppings you threw on there, they sound like burger perfection! xoxo, Jackie :)

11. Bethany says

These were so delicious!! I added a few generous shots of Worcestershire sauce to up the umami factor. YUM.

• jackiegrandy says

Hi Bethany! I’m so glad you made these and loved them and I love your addition of the Worcestershire sauce. My hubby would love that! :)

12. Kathy says

I am new to your website – my daughter came across it and showed it to me this week. I have already made your miso tofu with kale meal, your lacinato kale salad, and the turkey burgers. Everything has been delicious!! The turkey burgers are the best I’ve ever had, and my kids love them too!!! Thank you so much for the great recipes; I can’t wait to try more of them. The blog is beautiful too – the photography is incredible!

13. Cynthia Zuniga says

O-M-G!! I made these last night and they were so delicious.
    What an amazing recipe!!!
    I’m drooling just thinking about these burgers.

• jackiegrandy says

Yaay Cynthia! I’m so happy to hear that you love these burgers. They’re a family favorite and staple in our house :) xoxo, Jackie

14. RLSCS says

I made these for dinner last weekend and my boyfriend has not been able to stop raving about them. I am making them again this weekend. I love that there are very few ingredients, is very simple to make and jam packed full of flavor! This recipe is a winner and a keeper for sure. Thank you for sharing :)

Trackbacks

say something to Marin mama...