miso kale salad with miso roasted tofu

miso kale salad with miso roasted tofu (1 of 1)-2I’m so excited because I have found another kale salad that I love just as much as my lacinato kale salad. Wendy, Debbie & Amanda, you have to try this. This is going to be another weekly go-to salad for me. I love this salad so much that I ate a whole head of kale on Friday as well as made a fresh batch up for dinner on Saturday, and had leftovers for lunch on Sunday. It was a kale filled weekend for me. This salad is great on its own, but top it off with the miso roasted tofu and you have yourself a substantial lunch or dinner. Did I mention that this salad is also kid and hubby approved?

This is also another great make ahead salad. I do prefer to eat it fresh or within the hour of tossing it up, but it tasted amazing as leftovers the next day and even holds out to day 3 (actually my hubby likes it better the next day, go figure). I re-heated the leftover tofu in a pre-heated 250 degree oven for just a bit, and then topped it on the leftover salad. You don’t even have to re-heat the tofu, I just did because I wanted to. It tastes great, all warm on the cool salad.

miso tofumiso roasted tofu:

Recipe from Eating Well, Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals
makes 14 square cubes
printer friendly recipe

• 1 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons, miso – see picture and note below
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced

Below is a picture of miso. You can find it in the refrigerated section of your grocery store usually by where the tofu is kept. Miso is a fermented soybean paste that adds flavor to dishes such as soups, sauces and salad dressings. It is high in protein, and rich in vitamins and minerals. It’s available in different colors, white, yellow, red & brown. If you want a milder flavor then go with yellow or white. If you want a stronger flavor then go with a red or brown miso. The lighter the color, the milder the flavor. I chose this yellow chickpea miso because I wanted a milder flavor and this version is soy-free.
DSC_0203Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray or brush on some olive oil. Make sure that you coat it well, because if you don’t, then the tofu will stick to the baking sheet. I used my olive oil cooking spray.

Drain the tofu and wrap it in some paper towels and gently press out the excess moisture. Cut the block of tofu into square cubes like the picture below. I cut the block of tofu into 8 slices and then cut those in half to get these squares. It really doesn’t matter how you cut up your tofu, just make sure they are cut into even pieces.

cubed tofuCombine the 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons miso and the 2 cloves minced garlic in a large bowl, and use a spatula to mix it together. It will resemble a thick paste.

miso paste with lemon and garlic_Add the tofu squares to the mixture and gently toss to coat.  It may not look like there is enough mixture to cover all of the tofu, but there is.

Spread the marinated tofu in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.

miso roasted tofuBake the tofu on the middle rack, turning one to two times during baking, until browned, about 18-20 minutes, or until the tofu is browned on all sides.

miso roasted tofuYou can really do so much with this tofu. You can throw it on any other salad of choice, eat it on its own or top it on your favorite pasta. The choices are unlimited.  We love it topped on some cold soba noodles with summer vegetables.

cold soba noodles with miso roasted tofu and summer vegetablesWe also love it in a vegetarian banh mi sandwich.

vegetarian banh mi sandwich with sriracha mayonnaise
Oh, I forgot to mention that Eli loved this tofu (not the salad, but we are working on that).  Zoe love’s both the tofu and salad.  She is really turning into my kale gal.
miso kale salad with miso roasted tofu

miso kale salad:

Recipe adapted from Eating Well, Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals
Note: This is not a make ahead dressing, as it does not sit well on it’s own. I would make it up and then toss it with your kale. Once mixed with the kale, it sits well.
printer friendly recipe

• 1 bunch (whole head) lacinato/dinosaur kale, curly kale or red kale, large stems removed, thinly sliced – to see a step-by-step demonstration on how to de-stem and slice kale – click here.
  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 4 teaspoons miso
  • 1 clove garlic, minced - I used 2 medium cloves and it tasted great
  • 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

Whisk together the oil, lemon juice, miso and garlic in a glass measuring cup or small bowl.
Make sure to whisk the ingredients together well. The dressing will be a bit thick and pasty.

miso dressingPut your sliced and de-stemmed kale into a salad bowl.

Pour in the dressing a bit at a time (see my note below) over the kale, and mix well so that all the kale absorbs the dressing.  I actually massaged my kale a bit so the kale really absorbed the dressing.  You don’t have to go crazy massaging this kale salad.  When I say, “massage” your kale, I literally mean, get your hands in there and massage it.  You will notice that the kale reduces in size quite a bit, and what seemed like a mess of kale is now 1/2 of what it was.
Note:  Add the dressing to taste.  Some heads of kale are smaller than others, so just use the amount of dressing for the amount of kale you have.  The first batch I made had less kale so I only used 3/4 the amount of dressing I made.  The second batch I used had a bit more kale, and I ended up using the whole amount of dressing.
Add the 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, and toss to coat.
Top the salad with some roasted tofu, or not.  The kale salad is great on its own as well.
This salad is creamy and bowl licking good.  It’s the perfect meal for any vegetarian or non-vegetarian.
Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Be sure to store the tofu and kale separately.
Got leftovers?  Just re-heat the tofu in a 250 degree oven until warmed. This salad tastes great day two and even day three.
You can also make a kale caesar salad wrap. Just top a whole-grain tortilla with the leftover kale salad, the warmed tofu and then smash an avocado on top and wrap it up. It’s just a fun and different way to enjoy this salad.
kale caesar salad wrap
Like kale salads?  Then you need to try my  lacinato kale salad.  This salad has turned kale haters into kale lovers.
lacinato kale salad video
kale and ricotta salata salad
kale salad with delicata squash, almonds and aged cheddar

Comments

• says

So glad you made it and that it was a hit with you as well as Nate. Did you see your name in the post? I can’t wait for Zoe to try the tofu. I think I will top it on some soba noodles maybe with the miso dressing this week. I may also throw some kale in there and make it a one-bowl meal. I will let you know how it turns out.

See you bright and early tomorrow with Stein!

1. says

I think you should have my blog name, Jackie — your love affair with kale knows no bounds! Miso is a scary ingredient for me: whenever I have had it, I’ve found the taste overwhelming.

• says

Hi Sharyn. You’re to funny, but it does sound like a fitting name (the Kale chronicles) since I am a bit obsessed with kale. You will like the miso I used above as it’s very mild and perfect for beginners. I actually only use this variety as I love it and it’s mild enough for the kids.

Your fear of miso is like my fear of anchovies! Maybe we should both make each others salad and get over our fears, sound good?

2. says

This looks great, Jackie. I love kale in all its forms (and love all of your kale recipes :) and the miso + tofu flavors sound awesome! I have never experimented with miso before, but I’m seeing it around so often now that I feel like I should just commit and buy some of it already. When I do I’ll be sure to try out this.

3. says

I really envy all of you that are having summer holidays now. Wish that our weather will get warmer soon… This tofu salad looks so wholesome and beautiful and great for summer too :D

4. says

This salad was superb! My tofu wasn’t as pretty as yours and I skipped the parm cheese and added some black pepper. A great meal on a hot day. Love love love kale!

• says

Hi Justine. You can totally substitute those for the kale. The original recipe called for romaine lettuce and radicchio lettuce. I just made it with the kale one afternoon and loved it! This is a pretty simple dressing that I could see used on any lettuce or green.

5. says

Beautiful photos and this salad sounds delicious! I love tofu and I’m sure I would love miso roasted tofu so this is definitely on my to-make list!

6. says

I enjoyed this for dinner tonight. I reduced the oil on the salad to 1/4 cup and split that evenly between olive oil and sesame oil for a little bit more flavor. I really liked it…this is going into regular rotation.

• says

Hi Robin! I’m glad this salad worked out for you and that its going to become part of your rotation. I love it when I find dishes like that! I also love hearing about your substitutions! I might have to give the sesame oil a try next time.
      xoxo,
      jackie

7. says

Hi there! Within 5 minutes of finding your blog for the first time, I was de-stemming my lacinato kale and whipping this up! Thank you so much for this simple, clean recipe. And I love how crazy you are about kale!! While I order kale salads wherever I go, this was my first time making a raw kale salad at home. I am looking forward to reading your blog!!!

• says

Hi Christina. I’m glad I found another kale fanatic. If you love this salad, then you will love my lacinato kale salad one as well. That is another pantry item dressing and so easy to throw together as well.

It’s funny, but I’m actually making up this salad today for lunch! I already made up the miso tofu, so all I need to do is throw together the kale portion.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

8. Kat says

This looks absolutely amazing, I found it through Pinterest and want to make it soon! Miso and kale are two of my favorites. I just have to ask, why make the point of using soy-free miso when you are using it with tofu? Just curious.

• says

Hi Kat! When I first made this salad a while back I picked up this chickpea miso because it was mild and I didn’t want a strong miso flavor. My kids love this miso so I have kind of stuck to it and haven’t tried another one. I also don’t want to much soy in my diet so I liked the fact that it was soy-free. You hear one week that to much soy is bad for you and then the next week you hear that its good for you. I just figured I would keep it at a happy medium and have the tofu with the soy and the miso without.

You will definitely love this when you give it a try. I have had it the past two days for lunch. I also have a soba noodle dish coming up next week that I topped with the miso tofu. Its so flavorful.

9. Thomas says

Love your blog! So funny, fresh and well organized.

Found it when googling for kale, and now I´m stuck.
    It seems kale has its renaissance here in Norway as well. I like it! Well, once in a while that is ;)

• says

Hi Tom! Thanks for stopping by and hanging out (all the way from Norway). I hope you found some good kale recipes, (love the lacinato kale salad). If you take a look around, you will realize that I am a bit kale obsessed.

Thanks for the sweet comment about the site being organized. I am trying to update things on the site to make it more user friendly, so I am glad you find it easy to navigate.

10. Jill Shepard-Rahim says

This recipe was absolutely delicious I prepared it as written. I’ve never cared for tofu too much but I like it in this recipe. Thank you for giving me a delicious healthy recipe JIll

• jackiegrandy says

Hi Jill! Thanks for stopping by and letting me know how the salad turned out for you. I love the tofu this way, as it gets all crispy and looses that typical tofu texture.

• jackiegrandy says

Hi Mary! You’re so welcome! I’m glad you loved this salad! It’s one of my favorites! xoxo, Jackie

11. Andrea says

I just found your recipe; I didn’t have the tofu but I had everything else for the kale salad – and it was truly delicious. Thank you for an easy recipe that tastes amazing!

• jackiegrandy says

Hi Andrea! Yaay, I’m glad you made and loved the kale salad. I make it tons without the tofu as well :) If you love kale salads, then you should try the lacinato kale salad on my blog. That is my absolute fave and is super easy to whip up as well. :) xoxo, Jackie

12. mg says

You and your recipes have turned my family into kale-salad lovers!
    Of course it didn’t hurt that I served with baked cheesy pasta :)

Anyhow, love your blog and your friendly, assessible style of
    of writing. Thanks so much!

• jackiegrandy says

Awesome! I’m so happy that your family has turned into kale lovers, and yes, serving it with that cheesy baked tortellini does help :) xoxo, Jackie

• jackiegrandy says

Hi Wendy! You’re so welcome! I’m so happy to hear that you and your hubby love this salad :) xoxo, Jackie

Trackbacks

say something to Marin mama...