I got this recipe from a blog that I have been following for some time called, For the Love of Cooking. Pam has been blogging for years, and she has so many recipes that you could literally make a new recipe every day for a year and then some. Every recipe that I have made from her blog is a winner. I love that Pam gives her kid’s honest opinion on each dish, as it helps me to know if the dish is going to be something my kids will eat.
This recipe is super easy to make, and pretty much a make-ahead meal, perfect for entertaining. You can marinate the chicken in the morning and then just grill it up that evening (don’t marinate it for more than 6 hours though). The mango avocado salsa literally takes 5 minutes to whip up.
cilantro lime chicken tacos with mango avocado salsa:
printer friendly version
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of any fat
- juice and zest of 3 limes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small red onion or 1/2 of a large red onion, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- package of whole grain corn tortillas
- cotija cheese or queso fresco
Prep all of your ingredients.
Note: I wouldn’t recommend marinating the chicken breasts for more than 6 hours, as they will get a bit rubbery. If you want to make this a true make ahead meal and marinate it for more than 6 hours, then you can pick up some boneless chicken thighs. They will take in the marinade beautifully and can handle marinating overnight or for more than 6 hours.
Top each tortilla with the sliced chicken, mango avocado salsa, cotija cheese or queso fresco and some fresh cilantro. My kids and hubby honestly loved this dish. The chicken was super flavorful, and topped with the mango salsa, it was a real treat.