mango avocado salsa and how to dice a mango

This salsa is a preview to another recipe that I am showcasing on Monday, cilantro lime chicken tacos. This salsa and those tacos are rated a 10+ in my house and they pair so perfectly together. This salsa is a great stand along recipe, so I wanted to showcase it as a separate recipe, rather than combine it with another where it might get lost.

This salsa is super easy to throw together and all of the ingredients are in season right now and as fresh as can be.  I love this salsa because it’s not your standard red or green salsa. It’s a unique combination of flavors and textures.  We love serving this salsa alongside some tortilla chips. Bring this to your next summer potluck and I guarantee it will be gone, you might even want to make a double batch.mango avocado salsa:

recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
makes 3 cups
Printer friendly version

• 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced medium
  • 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced medium
  • 1 small red onion or 1/2 of large red onion, diced small – I can’t seem to find small red onions around my neck of the woods so I always use 1/2 of a larger onion
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice  (1 lime)
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt

Note:  Martha’s recipe included 1/2 to 1 habanero chile, (stem and seeds removed and minced) but I chose not to include that in this salsa because it would then be to spicy for my kids.  Feel free to add this to your salsa, if you want it to be spicier.
Prep all your ingredients.  Squeeze the 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice, dice up your red onion, chop up your cilantro, dice up your avocado and mango.
Note: If you are not familiar with how to dice up a mango, I will show you the step-by-step instructions below.
Get out a large bowl and combine all the above ingredients, add the tablespoon of olive oil and the 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Gently combine all the ingredients together.
That’s all there is to it!
This salsa goes great with grilled chicken, pork, seafood, beef or just to serve on the side with some crunchy tortilla chips.
I wanted to show you a photo of a champagne mango.  You may notice these mangos in the grocery store and don’t be afraid to give them a try as they taste great. Be sure to get ones that are soft and wrinkly, as shown in the below photo or else they won’t be sweet.  You will cut and dice these mangos the same way as a regular mango.
DSC_0002
Next, I’m going to show you how to dice up a mango.  My friend Cathie stopped by to pick up her daughter as I was making this salsa, so I asked her to demonstrate it for you, as she is an expert at mango slicing and dicing.  Thanks Cathie!
First off, wash your mango.
Mangos have a flat, oblong pit in the center of them, so you don’t want to slice down the center of a mango.  You will want to cut the mango on both sides of the pit, as shown below.  Hold the mango with one hand, stand it on its end, stem side down, and cut from the top of the mango, down one side of the pit.  Repeat on the other side.
Note:  If you hit the pit, try to cut a curving arc around it.  Also, the flatter sides of the mango are the better sides to cut off.
Take a mango half and cut/score vertical lines into the cheek using a small paring knife. Make sure the knife tip goes all the way down to the skin, but not through it as you score the lines. The further apart you score the lines, the thicker your slices will be.
Turn the mango and make another set of vertical lines to make a checkerboard pattern.
Note: You can make these slices thinner or fatter depending on how big you want your mango chunks.
Turn the scored mango cheek inside out by pushing the skin up from underneath.
 Gently scrape the mango chunks off with a paring knife.
 To get the most of your mango, use a paring knife to peel off the outer skin on the remaining piece of mango surrounding the pit.
Slice off any remaining mango meat on the pit and then cut those pieces into small chunks.
 There you have it, some diced mango!  Feel free to slice up your mango into smaller pieces if you want.
Thank you Cathie for being my hand model today.
My blogger buddy Sharon from Likikoi Joy, made up this salsa for a party. I just loved her Instagram photo, so I asked her to send it to me! I think it’s helpful to see other people’s photos of dishes besides mine!  Don’t you just love the bowl she used?
IMG_20130707_101316
BTW, I wanted to give a shout out to my brother today.
Happy Birthday Aaron.  I love you so much!

• Sharyn Dimmick August 2, 2012, 4:31 pm

Good, clear photos of the mango operation — makes all the difference in getting usable mango.

• Jacquelyn Grandy August 3, 2012, 4:45 am

Thanks Sharon. My friend did a great job pausing in between each step so I could take the photos.

• Becca @ The Dabblist August 2, 2012, 6:11 pm

Love the mango tutorial!

• Jacquelyn Grandy August 3, 2012, 4:45 am

Thanks Becca!

• Zoe August 3, 2012, 2:28 am

Your mango tutorial is very precise! I love it :D

Happy Birthday to Aaron… any celebration or surprise party for him?

• Jacquelyn Grandy August 3, 2012, 4:44 am

Hi Zoe! My brother lives on the opposite coast so unfortunately I was not able to celebrate with him in person :(

• Anonymous August 5, 2012, 10:39 am

Hi there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be okay. I’m
    absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.
    My webpage ; Sandpoint waterfront

• Jacquelyn Grandy August 8, 2012, 5:06 pm

Hi there. Yes, I am on twitter, you can just click on the twitter icon to the right and follow me that way :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks August 8, 2012, 5:06 am

great step-by-step pics – I feel like mangoes are one big pit! No matter where I go on it, I run into the pit. Love fresh mangoes, hate dealing with slicing them!

• Jacquelyn Grandy August 8, 2012, 5:02 pm

Thanks Averie. I’m finding the more I cut up mangos, the easier it is. I have been cutting one up every day as it’s now the kid’s favorite fruit.

• Em (Wine and Butter) August 19, 2012, 10:32 pm

I made this salsa for my mum on Thursday and making it again for her dinner party tonight as she is so obsessed!! I had made a sort of mango salsa a bit before but forgot abotu it totally … and also had NO idea how to slice a mango properly. Culinary student right here. ;). Anyway I wanted to tell you that and that life has calmed down now (showcase OEVR!!!!!) and that I cannot wait to see you or speak with you again!! xoxoxox

• Jacquelyn Grandy August 20, 2012, 1:05 pm

Hey Em! I’m so happy you made this for your mum and that she loved it. Yaay! I’m also glad the mango tutorial helped you (it helped me as well). We just got back in town yesterday and the kids start school this week, so maybe a get together next week? I’m glad things have slowed down for you, as it’s no fun running around like a madwoman!

Speak soon! xoxo

• Anonymous March 22, 2013, 11:17 pm

I’m so glad I saw this on Pinterest because I haven’t checked this recipe out yet. I love mangos and this is exactly how I slice it up too. When we were younger and living in Hawaii, my mom would slice it and then give us the big seed and I’d suck on that thing for an hour. LOL! This salsa looks delicious. I think I’d add a jalapeno but not the habanero. xoxo, Sharon

• jackiegrandy March 23, 2013, 4:23 am

I’m so glad you saw it as well. I decided to make a “how-to” board on pinterest and pinned those puppies up today. I know a jalapeno sounds much better than a habanero. This salsa is the bomb, and so good that I made it up three times this week. I should offer Eli the seed next time because he LOVES mango, good idea! :)

• Sharon B. July 3, 2013, 4:49 am

I’m so excited that I’ll be making this for the 4th of July party we are going to! My friend Shannon is making carne asada and I think this will be perfect with that. WOOHOO!! I had to come over and print this right now so I can get the ingredients tomorrow.
    I’m still slacking a little on blogging, but summer just keeps me away from the computer more. Hope you have a great 4th! BTW, your brother is cute too – cuteness runs through your entire family! :) xoxo, Sharon

• jackiegrandy July 3, 2013, 7:24 pm

You are too adorable girl! I’m so happy you’re making this salsa and I know it will be a hit. Don’t worry about taking a blogging break, I’m taking it slow this week as well. It’s a vacation week in my eyes and I think everyone else is on the page. My brother is a cutie! Love that guy! Have a great 4th :) xoxo, Jackie