roasted beets

Finally a new post!  Can you believe it?  I took a mini blogging vacation as we were visiting John’s family in Minnesota. John’s parents, brother, sister and all their kids live there (6 cousins for my kids to play with). We always plan our Minnesota trip the week before the kids start school, as It’s a great way to close out the summer and the kids come back on Minnesota time, so getting them up for the first day of school is a breeze. Unfortunately, we were lame on taking photos. I think I have more photos of food than I do my family, so sad and so lame. I’m definitely going to change that though.

John and I treating ourselves to an ice-cream after our 3 hour bike ride at one of our favorite old haunts, Sebastian Joes.  Zoe took the photo with ice cream in hand.

So as you can see from the above photo, I ate tons of ice cream and basically ate tons in general.  That’s what you do on vacation, right?  When I got home I was craving salads, kale (no surprise there) and meatless meals.  I was also craving beets, so I decided to roast some up and take some photos along the way.

roasted beets:

• fresh beets – I typically roast up 2 beets at a time
  • extra virgin olive oil - I use 1 tablespoon for 2 beets
  • salt and pepper to taste – I just use a pinch of salt and omit the pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Wash and peel the beets and then trim off the stems and root ends.
Don’t worry about the reddish/purple stain on your fingers, it will come up when you wash up.
Slice the beets into 1/2 -to-1-inch thick wedges (make sure that they are even in size).
Throw the beet wedges onto a sheet of aluminum foil.  Drizzle with some olive oil and season with a pinch or two of salt.
You can also use pepper here, but I chose not to.
Create a roasting pouch for the beets by placing them in the center of the foil, and tightly sealing the foil around them.
Roast for 40-60 minutes, or until the beets are tender when pierced with a fork.
The cooking time will depend on the size of your beets and also on your oven.  Sometimes it take 40 minutes for my beets to roast while other times it has taken 50 minutes.
Check them at 40 minutes and then gage the cooking time from there.
Let the beets cool a bit and then refrigerate them in a sealed container till needed.  Cooked beets taste best when consumed within 2 days.  You can use roasted beets in a variety of dishes from pastas and risottos to salads.  I actually have 2 great salad recipes that incorporate beets, that I will share with you soon.

• em (Wine and Butter) August 24, 2012, 3:50 am

Yay!! Youre back!!! What beatiful photos of your beautiful family!!!!! I;m also on a massive beet kick at the moment.. Im obsessed with beets and rice cooked in coconut milk.. I will have to send you the recipe for that too!! I’ll email you soon.. welcome home!!

• Jacquelyn Grandy August 28, 2012, 8:15 pm

Hey you! I’m back and finally catching up with life. It takes about a week or two to get back in a routine when the kids go back to school. I want that recipe. Email it to me girl or post it!

• Zoe August 27, 2012, 4:52 am

Hi Jacquelyn,

Welcome back! Your summer holidays look wonderful! I wish for a holiday too and will be going away in late Oct :D

I always eat my beet from a can… Ops! Got to learn to cook with the fresh ones. Thanks for your great tips :D

Zoe

• Jacquelyn Grandy August 28, 2012, 8:13 pm

It’s ok Zoe, I used to eat the cranberry sauce out of the can. I also just starting liking beets about a year ago. It took me some time to get use to their earthy taste.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks August 27, 2012, 9:33 pm

roasted beets are like nature’s candy – I LOVE THEM!

And you my friend look AMAZING! You are in fabulous shape — WOW! You go girl!

• Jacquelyn Grandy August 28, 2012, 8:12 pm

Thanks for the super sweet compliment Averie. You’re one to talk with those six pack abs :)

• Kelly August 28, 2012, 6:29 pm

I’m on a beet kick too! I loved them steamed with balsamic, salt and peppa!

Also, I’m from Minnesota! Hope you had fun while you were here…

• Jacquelyn Grandy August 28, 2012, 8:15 pm

Hi Kelly! Small world! What part of MN are you from? My hubby grew up in Wayazata and we both lived in MPLS before moving to CA.

• Kelly August 30, 2012, 8:17 pm

I lived in South Mpls until junion high, we then moved to the northern suburbs where I’ve been there ever since. Very small world!

Also wanted to mention that I’m also with you in my love fore Kale salads. I can make one and it will last for days and not wilt, which makes it easy to prepare ahead of time. I work downtown and we have the farmers market today (Thursday) downtown so I’ll be stocking up! I enjoy your blog, keep it up!