how to keep strawberries fresh

how to keep strawberries freshIt’s strawberry season folks! Yippee! So today I thought I would share with you a quick tip that I learned from my friend Carolyn on how to keep those ripe strawberries fresh. Carolyn is the queen of the farmers market and always has great kitchen and produce tips for me.  She is sort of my go-to person for anything cooking related. Anyway, she showed me this simple, but helpful tip a few years back, and it’s really helped to keep my strawberries fresher longer.

First off, try and buy local strawberries if they’re available. Buying local mean they’re fresher and will last longer, and local produce always tastes better than something that has been shipped in from another state. When you return home from the market, check any berries for mold and then be sure to throw away any moldy berries. If the moldy berries are left with the good berries, then the mold will spread to the good berries as well. Also, don’t wash your strawberries or take off their green stems. You only want to wash your strawberries right before you’re ready to use them. Strawberries retain water and they will get soggy and soft.

IMG_4504

How to keep strawberries fresh:

Get out a glass or plastic storage container that has an airtight lid. I prefer to use glass containers, but if you don’t have glass a plastic one will work. Line the bottom of the container with a paper towel.  You may have to tear it in half like I did to fit the container.  The paper towel helps to absorb any moisture.

DSC_0001-2Lay some strawberries on the paper towel.  Be sure not to overcrowd them.

DSC_0081Lay another paper towel over the first batch of strawberries, and then place more strawberries on top. Do this only if your container is large enough, you don’t want to smash the strawberries when you put the lid on.

DSC_0085Seal the container and then put it into the refrigerator. This quick tip has really helped to keep my strawberries fresher longer. If you love strawberries, then you will love this easy and refreshing strawberry, mango and banana smoothie. I make these up daily for the kids this time of year.  It’s their favorite after school snack.  I just pair it with a batch of our favorite popcorn.

DSC_0195Here are three other helpful posts to extend the life of your fresh produce.

How to keep kale and other greens fresh.

Marin mama’s tips on keeping herbs fresh.

How to keep asparagus fresh.

• Anonymous May 7, 2013, 7:55 pm

What a fablous tip and it came at the perfect time because I just returned from the grocery store with a fresh batch of strawberries, and I already stored them away. I use to keep them in those green containers and they would get gross in a day! Thanks for the tip! Sarah

• jackiegrandy May 8, 2013, 11:02 pm

Hi Sarah! Yaay! I’m so glad my tip helped you out today :)

• Sharon B. May 7, 2013, 8:37 pm

Great tips! I’ve had that problem with the mold ruining the whole batch quickly and I’m so bummed when I see that. I’m going to be on the look out for fresh strawberries soon from the farms around us, love strawberry season. I usually make strawberry freezer jam for the year with them. Yum! Such a summery post, love it! xoxo, Sharon

• jackiegrandy May 8, 2013, 11:03 pm

Thanks girl! John is the jam maker in our house. He makes the best strawberry and blackberry jam!

• Danielle May 7, 2013, 10:19 pm

What great timing! I just came home with some strawberries and was worried out them going bad. Terrific tip! Thanks!

• jackiegrandy May 8, 2013, 11:04 pm

Woo hooo! So glad that I could help Danielle, and I hope they last a bit longer for you! Enjoy those strawberries :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks May 7, 2013, 11:09 pm

Strawberries are little stinkers and can go bad so fast! Good tips and I always try to only wash them right before I’m ready to eat them b/c as you said, otherwise soggy city!

• jackiegrandy May 8, 2013, 11:04 pm

Thanks Averie! :)

• Kathy May 8, 2013, 2:29 am

Thank you Jackie This is awesome- perfect timing too- I just got 2 containers of strawberries in my CSA box today. They are now cushioned in layers of paper towels in a container in my fridge :o) XO Kathy

• jackiegrandy May 8, 2013, 11:06 pm

Awesome Kathy! I think this tip truly came at the perfect time, so glad you saw it and applied it! xoxo, Jackie

• jackiegrandy May 8, 2013, 11:06 pm

Awesome Kathy! I’m so glad that you saw my tip and applied it. Great timing :) xoxo, Jackie

• Anonymous May 8, 2013, 10:38 pm

Great tip!!!

• Christy@SweetandSavoring May 9, 2013, 12:29 am

The abundance of strawberry posts I’m seeing on all the blogs lately is making me so happy, it means spring is in full force at last. I appreciate these tips- and I checked out your popcorn recipe, too. Luckily we’ve got plenty of coconut oil :)

• NancyV908 July 4, 2013, 10:03 pm

Thank you so much for this tip! It works amazingly well. I have kept strawberries nearly two weeks this way. The only change I made is to use dishcloths (I have lots of old ones that I don’t mind getting stained) instead of paper towels.

I am so glad to have discovered your blog and have tried many of your recipes. I just wish my kids ate as much of your food as your children do! They are soooo picky. But that way I get all the kale salad! :-)

• jackiegrandy July 5, 2013, 11:13 pm

Hi Nancy! Yaaay! Glad you discovered the tip and that it’s working so well for you! I love your idea of using old dish towels, very green of you ;)
    I bet your kids will slowly get used to the kale. Mine didn’t always love the kale either, but the more I kept introducing it to them, the more they got used to it and the more they starting liking it, but I do find that I have to buy 2 heads of kale now instead of one each time :) xoxo, Jackie

• Christine |Taste of Divine September 11, 2013, 1:18 am

Oh I’m so glad you posted this! I have been racing to eat all the local strawberries in my fridge before they turn to mush. I will definitely have to try this out!

• jackiegrandy September 11, 2013, 2:42 am

Hi Christine. It really works and has saved me tons of strawberries over the past few years. It’s the first thing I do when I get strawberries home from the market. :)

• julie February 7, 2014, 2:24 am

I found this post/your blog a couple of days ago through a Google search. Want to say thank you for the tip on storing strawberries. I tried it and the difference was very significant in keeping the berries fresh until we were ready to eat them tonight.

• jackiegrandy February 7, 2014, 3:17 am

Hi Julie! Yaaa! I’m so happy that you found my site and that this tip really worked for you. It really does make a difference in keeping strawberries fresh. :) Thanks for letting me know :) xoxo, Jackie

• Tracey @ Cooking with Love February 22, 2014, 9:39 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this! I just bought a huge container of strawberries today and glad to know there is a simple solution to keep them fresh longer! :-)

• jackiegrandy February 23, 2014, 4:09 pm

You’re so welcome girl! I just picked up my first organic strawberries of the season yesterday and I’m so happy. I love berry season!
    xoxo, Jackie

• Marlene May 12, 2014, 2:06 am

Thanks for the tip! We just picked 13 lbs of strawberries at a U-pick field today for Mother’s Day! I have some all over the fridge and some in the freezer for smoothies.

• Anonymous June 2, 2014, 1:12 am

Do u have a safe way to keep banans from getting ripe to quickly

• Magdi June 5, 2014, 2:08 pm

Thank you so much,Great idea!

Magdolna

• Irene Ray July 16, 2014, 12:29 am

I’m so happy that I found your wonderful tip. I’m applying it tonight and look forward to lovely strawberries in the morning. Thank you so much for being kind enough to help us … and please extend the thanks to Carolyn.

• jackiegrandy July 16, 2014, 6:25 pm

Hi Irene! You will totally love how it keeps your strawberries fresh! It really works :) xoxo, Jacquelyn