lacinato kale salad video tutorial

lacinato kale salad (1 of 1)-2Yes, you read the title right, I’m posting my first attempt at an instructional cooking video. Woo hoo! I actually wouldn’t call it an official cooking video because I make a few mistakes in the video, and my head totally gets cut off in places, but as I said, it’s my first attempt, and making videos is not really my forte. I almost didn’t post the video because it’s not a perfect and I’m kind of embarrassed by the way I look and sound on camera. I mean come on, everyone hates seeing themselves on video, right?  You see yourself and think, wow, that’s really how I look to people, but then you realize that your friends and loved ones love you just the way you are, so it’s not so bad, right? There’s a point when you just have to get over yourself, put yourself out there and let it be, and that’s what I’m doing today.

So back to this particular video. Zoe and I threw this together Tuesday afternoon, and I have to say we had a blast making it, which you will see in the video. It was so fun to work her on a creative project. We didn’t set up a script or format to follow, we just rolled with it, and I really like the casualness of it and how it all turned out. I choose to show myself making my lacinato kale salad, because it’s one of those salads that I literally make every day and I thought it would be an easy recipe to start off with. Before we get started, I want you all to know that Zoe filmed and edited this whole video! How’s that for a 13 year old?  She is going to be a huge filmmaker one day, I can see it now. We’re still trying to figure out how to record a video on my DLSR camera. We used my  Nikon 50mm 1.4 lens, and may have to move to a wider angle lens at some point, as we didn’t get my whole head in on certain shots, and there are parts where things get a bit blurred, but that’s ok, we’re a work in progress here at Marin mama cooks, and I know you’re a forgiving audience.

Anyway, I want to give you all my final warning that this is our first attempt at a cooking video and I’m not trying to be or play anything other than myself !  There’s actually a funny ending after the credits where Zoe steps in and does an imitation of me, so if you have time, watch the whole video! It was totally spontanious on her part, as I was just test recording her to see how it all looked. Oh, and the video is a bit longer than we had anticipated, a bit over 7 minutes (sorry). Ok, without further ado, here we go…

So there you have it, I hope you all enjoyed  the video. I know it’s a bit long, but oh well, that’s just how we roll over here at Marin mama cooks.  Please click over to my lacinato kale salad for the full and detailed recipe. Have a wonderful weekend! xoxo, Jackie

• Maya June 13, 2013, 2:51 pm

Love the video! You’re so likable. And your daughter is adorable. I look forward to more :)

• jackiegrandy June 13, 2013, 7:54 pm

Thanks so much for your sweet words Maya! :) We will definitely do a few more!

• Leslie June 13, 2013, 3:32 pm

Great job and your daughter is a natural in front of the camera! Love this salad, I make it all the time. I have the same shirt!

• jackiegrandy June 13, 2013, 7:56 pm

Hi Leslie! Thanks so much for your sweet comment! Wow, we have 2 things in common, our love of this salad and the same fashion style! :)

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl June 13, 2013, 3:53 pm

I’ve been meaning to try this salad for so many nights, every night it stares at me on Pinterest, and now I have a tutorial video! It doesn’t get any better.

Great job! :)

• jackiegrandy June 13, 2013, 7:57 pm

Hi Pamela! Yaay! Glad the video inspired you to make the salad. You’re going to love it! I just finished the leftovers a few minutes ago. Thanks for your sweet comment :)

• Felice June 13, 2013, 4:14 pm

This was GREAT….keep them coming….love all your recipes and you sound and look just as I had imagined…..Zoe is a great sidekick…..

• jackiegrandy June 13, 2013, 8:00 pm

Hi Felice! Thanks for your sweet comment. I’m happy to hear that I sounded like what you had imagined. I was a bit nervous if people would think I was a huge spaz :)
      We will keep the video’s coming as long as Zoe has the time to film and edit me. Now that I got my first one out there, I won’t be as nervous to just throw a quick one together again.
      Zoe is a great sidekick and truly made me feel so comfortable making this video. It was truly a labor of love. :)

• Danielle June 13, 2013, 4:49 pm

Very cool! You did terrific! Apparently I’ve been using the wrong techniques to wash, to de-stem, and to cut it. I’m excited to make this now that I’ve seen you do it. You are a pro in front of the camera :)

• jackiegrandy June 13, 2013, 8:04 pm

Hi Dani! Thanks so much for your sweet comment girl! I can’t believe that you have been following this blog since the beginning and I’m so happy that you’re still a loyal reader, so thanks so much for sticking with me :) It really means a lot.
      You know, I have had a few people tell me the same thing, that they have either been de-stemming the kale wrong or cutting it wrong, so I’m super glad it was helpful and not just a funny video to watch, because that’s how I felt watching it. :)

• startcooking June 13, 2013, 5:07 pm

Congratulations! That’s a terrific video…and the salad looks delicious!
    Cheers,
    Kathy

• jackiegrandy June 13, 2013, 8:04 pm

Thanks so much Kathy! :)

• Kitchen Belleicious June 13, 2013, 7:51 pm

I love love love love love love love love it! Can you tell I love it! Oh girl! You had me smiling, nodding, laughing and just so happy! I think you did an outstanding job. I could have NEVER done it! NEVER! I blush in front of a camera much less a video camera so no way no how for this girl but you did amazing. A regular in fact and you looked so darn gorgeous doing it! Your so cute! The video was informational and fun and makes me want you to tell me more- which is the point right? You get 5 stars from me! Thinking I am going to be making a kale salad once we get through moving next week! Oh and Zoe- darling you were exceptional both behind and in front of the camera:)))

• jackiegrandy June 13, 2013, 8:13 pm

Awww, you’re too sweet Jessica. I’m so glad you got a kick out of the video and enjoyed watching it. I felt like it was more of a comedy of errors, but it was so fun working with Zoe. I really just wanted to get my first video out there so I could take that all that anxiety away, and I hit publish and there was no going back. Zoe really made me feel super comfortable in front of the camera and I’m not sure I would feel that way with just anyone. She kept advising me to look up and hold things behind the camera, so she did so much more than just hold the camera. Thanks for the 5 star review and I bet that if you did a video, you would be even cuter with your adorable little accent and your bubbly energy! Best of luck with your move next week. xoxo, Jackie

• Sharon B. June 14, 2013, 4:24 am

You.Are.ADORABLE!!!! Oh my gosh, I so enjoyed seeing this and your personality. You’re just as cute and warm as you come across in your writing. And Zoe is brilliant and beautiful! :) Glug of cheese! haha! :) Seriously, I was smiling through so much of this video. Great job, loved that you put yourself out there like that even if you were feeling a little shy about it. It was fun to watch! I can’t wait to see the next one. And there should be a next one because you come across as so approachable while we learn something. xoxo, Sharon

• jackiegrandy June 14, 2013, 5:54 pm

Hi Sharon! I love that you saw Zoe’s glug of cheese comment in the video, she added that because I’m always using the wrong words to describe things or else I just make up random words and the family always catches me. Zoe and I are inspired to make more videos, so thanks for your sweet comment and positive words! xoxo, Jackie

• Megan June 14, 2013, 5:50 am

I heart you two beautiful girls–on and off the camera!–and your cooking! Congrats on Video #1. Can’t wait to see the next ones!

• jackiegrandy June 14, 2013, 5:55 pm

awww, thanks so much Meagan. We heart you too! :)

• Sara June 14, 2013, 12:27 pm

Cute video! I should make it tonight! It’s hard to not make the miso kale salad, though. That one is such a winner! I’ve never bought the lacinato before but today’s the day. I will be sure to not to buy the wrong lettuce and give myself a paper cut – haha!

• jackiegrandy June 14, 2013, 5:59 pm

Hi Sara! You should try it. If you love the miso caesar one, then you will love the flavors in this one as well. This one is just another kale salad to add in to your weekly mix for some variety. I cycle between this one, the miso one and the ricotta salata one. Those are my 3 faves.
      You gave Zoe and I a chuckle with your last sentence! :) xoxo, Jackie

• 2sistersrecipes.com June 14, 2013, 2:22 pm

Love the video! And I have never made a Kale salad before, so I am thrilled to watch and learn about it. I am inspired to make this salad for my family this weekend!
    thanks for the great video! :) Anna

• jackiegrandy June 18, 2013, 7:11 pm

Hi Anna! Thanks for checking out the video. This salad will hopefully make you fall in love with kale and is a great salad to start with if you haven’t tried kale before. xoxo, Jackie

• Denise June 14, 2013, 7:21 pm

Great video Jackie!! Love it ….

• jackiegrandy June 15, 2013, 5:02 am

Thanks Denise! :)

• Emily June 14, 2013, 8:40 pm

I go to school down at UC Santa Cruz, and as you can imagine, kale is very popular here. I’ve tried scores of different ways to prepare it, but truly, your kale salad is my absolute favorite. Thank you! I make it very often, and I’ve gotten my boyfriend into it too. I’ve had a lot of success scaling the olive oil down (I tend to use a little less than one tbsp), and if I don’t feel like parmesan cheese, I’ve made a great version with crumbled pieces of good quality, aged white cheddar tossed in at the end. Great recipe, and delightful video. I wish my mother had gotten me hooked on kale at your daughter’s age! :)

• jackiegrandy June 15, 2013, 5:12 am

Hi Emily! So glad to hear that your favorite way to enjoy kale is this lacinato kale salad. I think it’s so much easier to massage the kale leaves and eat them raw in a salad rather than to cook or steam them. The aged cheddar sounds delish, and I love hearing people’s substitutions. I used an aged cheddar in my kale salad with delicata squash, and it’s amazing. I’m sure your mom would have gotten you hooked on kale if it was as popular when you were growing up as it is now. It’s truly become the new green! So glad you enjoyed the video and thanks for your sweet comment! :)

• Sandra June 15, 2013, 1:03 am

Two thumbs up from me!! And if I had Kale in my fridge right now I would literally be running to my kitchen to make this salad. It’ll be on the menu next week!

• jackiegrandy June 15, 2013, 5:14 am

Hi Sandra! Yaay! So glad to see that it’s going on next week’s menu. Let me know what you think :)

• Marilyn Clark June 16, 2013, 11:44 pm

Hi, Jackie! SO good to see you! I am definitely going to try this salad. What an easy way to get great nutrition. Loved your video!

• jackiegrandy June 18, 2013, 7:09 pm

Hi Marilyn! So glad you checked the blog out! Let me know what you think of the salad when you give it a try. :) Jackie

• angela @ another bite please June 17, 2013, 5:17 pm

oh my gosh Jackie I love it! it is so fun “seeing you” …. and that Zoe edited the video…wow! I am so impressed with it all…keep the video’s coming!!!!!

• jackiegrandy June 18, 2013, 7:09 pm

Thanks girl! We had so much fun making it :)

• Kristina @ Love & Zest June 19, 2013, 2:43 am

This video is awesome Jackie! You girls are very funny.. you have a little video star on your hands too :)

• jackiegrandy June 19, 2013, 4:40 pm

Hi Kristina! I’m so glad you checked out the video! Thanks for your sweet comment :)

• Marian June 30, 2013, 1:30 am

Cute! Your daughter glows too, must be all that kale! I’m gonna get my daughter running in the kitchen every time I make something green too.

• jackiegrandy June 30, 2013, 5:06 pm

Hey Marian! Thanks for your sweet comment regarding Zoe and the video. She’s a good testimonial for eating kale! :)

• Louise July 10, 2013, 1:16 pm

So funny! You and Zoe are adorable, really… The video was really nice to watch and I can’t wait for more! ( Now I hungry and I want some kale…) :)

• jackiegrandy July 10, 2013, 11:49 pm

Thanks for your sweet comment Louise! Zoe and I had a blast making this video and of course eating the salad :) xoxo, Jackie

• Christina July 10, 2013, 8:19 pm

Hey Jackie,
    I never wrote a comment on any blog before, but this time I just thought I have to… Being absolutely enthusiastic about great food, new recipes and foodblogs, I randomly discovered yours few weeks ago. This Lacinato Kale Salad immediately aroused my interest, although I have never been a huge kale fan before. Browsing all the local supermarkets, even the well-sorted and upper-end ones in Central London (can you imagine?) I couldn’t find this kind of kale anywhere, only curly kale in all the shops… But today, I have finally been succesful at a great greengrocery, I couldn’t believe my eyes when I spotted a bag full of fresh Tuscan Kale. Immediately went home and started to prepare this lovely dish. And I can tell you, this salad is just incredibly amazing! Soo happy to found your recipe and this tiny greengrocery! By the way, your daughter (and your son) are just too cute, you seem to have such an adorable family.
    Thank you for the great blog and for turning me into a kale-lover:-)

• jackiegrandy July 10, 2013, 11:54 pm

Hi Christina! Yaay, I’m glad your first comment ever is on my blog ! I feel so honored! I’m so sorry about the hassle you had trying to find lacinato kale. I run into that often when I travel back to see my family, so I end up using curly kale instead, which is great, but not the same. I’m super happy that you ended up finding some lacinato kale in the end and a new grocery store to boot! It’s a win, win then. I’m glad you turned into a kale lover girl! Welcome to the club :) Thanks for your sweet comment and for taking the time to say hi. I hope you find some other recipes to try on the blog that you end up loving just as much! xoxo, Jackie

• adisa August 18, 2013, 6:00 pm

Love the video and kale salad as well of course. Please keep going, I am making everything you post and my family members love it, you guys rock, looking forward for your TV show in future ( you are that good) .Cheers from Calgary, Canada

• jackiegrandy August 18, 2013, 11:28 pm

Hi Adisa. You’re too sweet, really, your comment made my day. You’re right that I need to get another video out. I’m trying to work on Zoe to make it happen before she goes back to school. So glad that you love that salad and other recipes from the blog, readers like you, really help keep me motivated, so thanks! :) xoxo, Jackie

• Jan October 2, 2013, 4:33 pm

Exactly what I wanted when I looked for recipes for Kale! I didn’t really care for it and used it in soups or omelets to disguise it. Wanted something simpler and fast and there you were with this great recipe and fabulous video. It used to take me so long to cut the stems out of the kale, then chop it up (I used scissors) and then have to cook it…… Who knew you could just pull the leaves off the stems so easily? AND to eat the kale raw without losing a lot of it’s nutrients, well, I just have to thank you for this. I’ve made your miso kale salad, too, and it is equally good and easy. My husband loves them both also. Your blog is now my #1 place to go!

• jackiegrandy October 3, 2013, 1:23 pm

Hi Jan! I’m so happy that this video helped you go from eating cooked kale (not my fave either) to eating it raw, and also taught you how to de-stem kale. Isn’t de-steming kale the easiest thing now that you know how to do it? You should also try the kale salad with ricotta salata as well. That is my second favorite salad on the blog. I rotate between that one and the lacinato kale salad. Thanks for stopping and saying hi and letting me know that this video helped you! I’m so happy that my blog is your number one place to go and I hope it continues to be so! xoxo, Jackie

• d. lawson October 6, 2013, 7:05 pm

Loved the video. I’m one of those people who’s not so much intimidated by kale as bewildered by it. This video answered a lot of my questions.

Plus, I love the easy peasy way you prepped it and tore it off the stalk. Cutting it off the stalk is so ho-hum and stops the momentum. Your idea is much quicker and easier. I love anything that streamlines the process.

I look forward to your other videos, which I found very friendly and down-to-earth. Always a good thing.

Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Great kids!

• jackiegrandy October 7, 2013, 2:33 am

I’m so happy that this video helped you out and made de-stemming kale that much easier for you. :) It’s really the little tricks and tips that really help when it comes to cooking. I’m so wanting to get more videos going, but I need to schedule it in with my videographer Zoe :) She is the one that films and edits all of my videos. Maybe we can pull one together over Thanksgiving break. Anyway, thanks so much for stopping by and saying hi and for leaving such a sweet comment :) xoxo, Jackie

• Emily3 December 1, 2013, 1:57 am

I just got a chance to watch your video, and it was fun seeing and hearing you talk :) You and Zoe did a great job! I haven’t taken the plunge into your kale salad yet, but I think I will if i can find a decent looking head of kale next time I’m at a nicer grocery store. Keep up the good work – I have been a regular visitor to your blog since I discovered it a few months ago… You have a nice writing style and I’m definitely interested in the kinds of foods you post!

• jackiegrandy December 2, 2013, 2:31 am

Hi Emily! Yaay! I’m so happy that you watched the video, I know it’s long, but thats how I roll, I tend to talk a lot! When you find a nice head of kale, you should just try the salad, you will love it and become addicted I’m sure. I’m so happy that you discovered my blog and that you’re sticking around each week. I love hearing that! Have a wonderful week. xoxo, Jackie

• Lisa Rubin February 13, 2014, 4:34 pm

Hi Jackie (and Eli and Zoe!),
    Wow, I stumbled upon your website and I am so impressed! What a long way you’ve come since 2012! You are a fabulous writer and inspirational cook and mom. I am thrilled to have rediscovered your blog because now I actually have time to cook for my family, and your recipes are perfect for us.

My one-year-old daughter also is a big fan — when I was watching your video, she toddled over and started clapping and saying “hi”. ;) Please give my best to your family, and especially Eli! Oh, what an awesome kid you have!!! I miss him.

In the meantime, I’m going to the store to buy the ingredients for this salad, and I am planning on sharing your blog with the East Bay mamas that cook too!

Lisa Rubin, aka Ms. Rubin
    PS – The layout of your blog is one of the very best I’ve seen. It is organized, calming, and easy to read and navigate. Love it.

• jackiegrandy February 13, 2014, 11:36 pm

Oh my goodness! What a blast from the past girl! So good to hear from you and a HUGE congratulations on your baby girl! I’m so happy for you sweetie :) She sounds adorable, toddling around saying hi to the computer!
      So excited you rediscoverd my blog girl! Yaay! I hope you and your hubby love this salad! It’s Eli and Zoe’s fave, and of course mine!
      I read your comment to Eli and he was beaming. :) He’s actually performing in the Variety show tonight with some of his buds along with Ethan and Oliver. They are singing and dancing to “What does the Fox Say.” It’s going to be adorable!
      Thanks so much for saying hi girl! It was so great to hear from you and I can’t wait to hear what you make next or think of this salad! Wishing you all the best! xoxo, Jackie
      Oh, Eli says hi as well :)

• Janet Richey March 25, 2014, 9:31 pm

Zoe was the great at the end! She is adorable!

• jackiegrandy March 27, 2014, 1:57 am

Awwww.. Thanks Janet! :) Zoe imitating me at the end is my favorite part as well!

• leslie willoughby July 11, 2014, 4:29 pm

Hi, Jackie, You are a star! Carey made this salad and I had to have the recipe. When I checked your Website I got overwhelmed by all the choices, and then Carey sent me the link to the one she used. I’m so glad I watched your video first of all because it was fun to see you and Zoe. Also, I learned your neat trick for unzipping the leaves, how to choose kale, and how to massage it so it’s nice and relaxed when I eat it. Tim’s picking up a lemon for me so we can take your yummy salad with us camping this week. Thank you!

• jackiegrandy July 15, 2014, 11:23 pm

Hi Leslie! Wow, small world and thanks so much for stopping by to comment! I’m so happy that Carey passed along this recipe to you. It’s one of my faves and I’m happy to hear that it’s becoming one of yours as well. Thanks for watching the video, it was long, but totally fun and it is full of some great tips.

I hope you and Tim enjoy the salad on your camping trip. That is the one thing I LOVE about kale salds, they taste and sit well for days!

Enjoy your trip and thanks so much for saying hi! xoxo, Jacquelyn